Make a big impact on a Cedar Rapids neighborhood during Transform Week. This annual event brings together community volunteers to complete projects that make our neighborhoods safer, healthier, and more attractive.
Transform a home. Transform a life.
2019 Transform Week: June 24-28
We’re seeking home improvement projects in the Taylor and Time Check neighborhoods of Cedar Rapids to include in our annual Transform Week. Our volunteers can help with a variety of projects, such as:
- Light construction or repairs to fix up areas on the inside of a home
- Window or door replacement
- Painting or siding the outside of a home
- Cleaning out debris or unwanted items from a home
- Building handicap accessible ramps
- Replacing the roof of a home or garage
- Planting trees or flowers in public areas in the neighborhood
- Fixing up or painting a local playground or public space
Sponsorships, grants, and donations allow us to do the home repairs at no cost to homeowners. The majority of the work will be completed between June 24-28, although some work may be done before and/or after that week.
To be considered for Transform Week, applicants must own their home, earn under 80% of median income ($65,050 for a family of four in Cedar Rapids), and live in either the Time Check or Taylor neighborhood.
Work side-by-side with other volunteers in the community for a day or the entire week. All skill levels are welcome—construction experience isn’t required. We’ll provide safety equipment for whatever task you take on.
You’ll be able to choose which project you’d like to help with on the morning of each volunteer day. If you have any special skills, please indicate so on the volunteer registration form and we may contact you in advance to match you with a project that requires your skill set.
The 2019 Transform Week is presented by Ingredion, a leading global ingredients solutions company with a location in southwest Cedar Rapids.
Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor, contact us to learn more.
We very much appreciate the support of Ingredion and other sponsors who help make Transform possible!
2018 Transform Week
The 2018 Transform Week was a great success and exceeded our expectations in every way! We increased to 18 projects throughout the Taylor neighborhood and doubled our volunteers from about 150 to 300. Here are just some of the results of this amazing week of neighborhood revitalization:
- 6 doors were replaced
- 27 windows were replaced with double-paned insulated windows
- 1 cracked concrete walkway was re-poured
- 4 porches were rebuilt or significantly repaired
- 3 bathrooms were restored to operable condition and received new flooring
- 2 garages had siding patched and were repainted
- 3 structures were re-roofed
- 1 garage had safe new electrical put in
- 2 truck-loads of weeds were pulled out of Taylor school landscaping and hauled away
- 4 truck-loads of mulch were added to Taylor school landscaping
The neighbors we served are very grateful for all that was accomplished!