The Cultivate Hope Community Gardens program connects gardeners and small-scale farmers with resources to grow food and build community bonds.
Why Provide Gardening Space?
Members of our community who would like to grow their own food don’t always have access to land. Housing circumstances and transportation gaps can be barriers to achieving their goals. By providing garden plots for rent each year, we help our neighbors grow fresh food closer to home. Some of our community gardeners are growing produce for the first time in their lives, while others are highly skilled. In particular, there is a desire among our growing immigrant population to continue the farming traditions they were accustomed to before arriving in Cedar Rapids.
When community members gain access to land, they can:
- Grow fresh produce for food preparation
- Connect with the earth and the seasons
- Learn or develop new skills
- Share their knowledge and food bounties with others
Matthew 25 maintains two locations of community garden plots in Cedar Rapids:
Cultivate Hope Urban Farm
437 G Ave NW
Growing spaces are approximately 20’x20’
Cedar Hills Community Church
6455 E Ave NW
Growing spaces are approximately 50’ x 50’
What resources are included?
- Water provided during the growing season
- Free use of a tiller, checked out from the Tool Library at the Matthew 25 office
How much does it cost?
- 20′ x 20′ plot on the Cultivate Hope Urban Farm is $50 for the 2023 season
- 50′ x 50′ plot on the Cedar Hills Community Church land is $50 for the 2023 season*
*Note: All plots at Cedar Hills Community Church have been rented for 2023.
Sign up today!
To sign up for a plot or for more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Matthew 25 Office at 319-362-2214.