Matthew 25 has been working within Time Check since the 2008 flood, engaging with neighbors, rehabbing houses and creating a beautiful urban farm. In 2018, we created the Healthy Time Check initiative to bring together a coalition of stakeholders and partners to help lead further investment in the neighborhood. The accomplishments of the Healthy Time Check initiative thus far have created a surge of energy and we’re now ready to take an even bigger step forward.
We’re inviting you to help revitalize the Time Check neighborhood by giving to our Healthy Neighborhoods campaign! This campaign will fund the next phase of the Healthy Time Check initiative, which includes developing a new corner grocery store, building new housing, and acquiring and fully rehabbing units of existing housing.
How can $1 million impact a neighborhood?
- Supports the development of a new corner store that supplies healthy food at affordable prices
- Revitalizes a blighted commercial property, located on a historically high crime corner in the neighborhood
- Supports new construction and rehabilitation efforts on at least sixteen homes
Cultivate Hope Corner Store
Our vision is to open a new nonprofit community grocery store and return the historic Hosmer Building on Ellis Blvd. to a vibrant space that brings neighbors together and provides a convenient location for healthy food in the neighborhood.
The store will provide produce that is reduced-cost, fresh and local, as well as other dry goods and staples. Our Groundswell Café will supply fresh, ready-to-eat meals, and there will be a small seating area where we will have educational programming around food and other community-building events.
We will be building new healthy, future-focused housing that serves both people and the planet. Homes will be designed and built using sustainable building practices and will be furnished with energy efficient heating and cooling systems and appliances. They will have front porches and yards that encourage community-building among neighbors, and will help to fill-in some of the vacant lots left from the 2008 flood.
We will also rehab older homes, making them more energy efficient and attractive, and creating more workforce housing solutions in the neighborhood. The new and rehabbed homes will be a mix of owner-occupied and rental units, all aimed at creating a vibrant, mixed-income neighborhood.
2021 – Cultivate Hope Corner Store opens (fall)
– Construction of first Healthy Home
– Two rehabbed homes
2022 – Cultivate Hope Corner Store educational programming begins
– Construction of two more Healthy Homes
– Three rehabbed homes
2023 – Completion of remaining eight housing units
You can help Cedar Rapids grow and thrive!
There are many ways to give. Every gift will help us to achieve this bold vision.
- Pledges are encouraged and may be extended over a period of up to three years. A reminder will be mailed to you.
- Gifts may be made in cash or securities.
- Gifts can include bequests, real estate, life insurance and personal property.
- Matching gifts through your employer or spouse’s employer can double or even triple your gift!
- Your gift may be made in honor or memory of someone. A letter recognizing your gift will be mailed to the person you are honoring or the family of the person you are memorializing.
- Your gift is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Mail a check to Matthew 25, 201 3rd Ave SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 (include “Healthy Neighborhoods” in the memo) or click here to give online through our secure form
Contact Jana at 319-200-2783 with any questions or to arrange your pledge.
Our Campaign Team
Bob and Bert Tribuno
Leadership/Major Gifts Team