Transform a home. Transform a life.
Make a big impact on a Cedar Rapids neighborhood during Transform Week. This annual event brings together community volunteers to complete projects that make our neighborhoods safer, healthier, and more attractive.
5th Annual Transform Week: June 22-26, 2020
During Transform Week, volunteers help homeowners in the Taylor and Time Check neighborhoods with home repair and maintenance projects that they aren’t able to complete on their own. Grants, donations and sponsorships allow Matthew 25 to do these home repairs at no cost to the homeowners.
Our volunteers help with a variety of projects, such as:
- Light construction or repairs to fix up areas on the inside of a home
- Window or door replacement
- Painting or siding the outside of a home
- Cleaning out debris or unwanted items from a home
- Building handicap accessible ramps
- Replacing the roof of a home or garage
- Planting trees or flowers in public areas in the neighborhood
- Fixing up or painting a local playground or public space
The deadline to submit project applications is February 1, 2020.
* Eligible applicants must own their own home, earn under 80% of median income ($71,450 for a family of four in Cedar Rapids), and live in the Time Check or Taylor neighborhood. If you meet these requirements, please complete the application form and return it to Matthew 25.
Work side-by-side with other volunteers in the community for a day or the entire week.
All skill levels are welcome—construction experience isn’t required. We’ll work to connect volunteers with projects that match their skill level and experience, and no one will be expected to do work that they are not comfortable with. If you have any special skills, please indicate so on the volunteer registration form and we may contact you in advance to match you with a project that requires your skill set.
We’re expecting between 300-400 volunteers throughout the week. We’ll provide tools and safety equipment for whatever task you take on. Most work days go from 8:00 – 3:30 with a break for lunch. Lunch and snacks are provided.
If you would like to volunteer for our 5th Annual Transform Week, our volunteer registration will open in March of 2020. If you’re bringing a group of volunteers, please have each member of your team register individually so that we have a record of emergency contact info, t-shirt size, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 319-362-2214 or email@example.com.
We rely on churches and community organizations to provide lunch for our volunteers each day. If your church or community organization would like to volunteer to prepare and serve lunch on one of the days of Transform, please contact us at 319-362-2214 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorships, grants, and donations allow us to do these home repairs at no cost to homeowners. We accept both monetary contributions as well as in-kind donations, such as building materials or snacks for our volunteers. Please contact us if your organization would like to become a sponsor or make a donation.
The 2019 Transform Week is presented by Ingredion, a leading global ingredients solutions company with a location in southwest Cedar Rapids.
We very much appreciate the support of Ingredion and other sponsors who help make Transform Week possible.
Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor, contact us to learn more.
2018 Transform Week
In 2018 we increased from 12 to 18 projects throughout the Taylor neighborhood and doubled our volunteers from about 150 to 300. Here are just some of the results of this amazing week of neighborhood revitalization:
- 6 doors were replaced
- 27 windows were replaced with double-paned insulated windows
- 1 cracked concrete walkway was re-poured
- 4 porches were rebuilt or significantly repaired
- 3 bathrooms were restored to operable condition and received new flooring
- 2 garages had siding patched and were repainted
- 3 structures were re-roofed
- 1 garage had safe new electrical put in
- 2 truck-loads of weeds were pulled out of Taylor school landscaping and hauled away
- 4 truck-loads of mulch were added to Taylor school landscaping
THANK YOU to all of the volunteers, sponsors, and donors who made this work possible! The neighbors we served are very grateful for all that was accomplished!